It’s easy to make excuses during the work week that we don’t have time to have a good breakfast. I’ve been guilty of this, grabbing a quick coffee and a muffin while we rush, rush, rush. These oats take exactly 3 minutes to cook and are so much more satisfying, tasty (and heart healthy) than the 600 sugar laden calories you might have a Starbucks.
You Will Need: (for 1 serving)
- 1/2 cup Organic Quick Oats
- 1 cup water
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1tsp honey (or to taste). You can also sub with maple syrup, stevia or agave.
- 1tsp organic dark cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- berries or fruit of your choice (tastes great with bananas too)
- Optional – a splash of almond milk tastes great overtop the oats.
In a small pot over high heat, add 1 cup of water with a pinch of salt, honey, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Bring water to a boil then add quick oats and stir. Lower heat to the low setting and cook (stirring occasionally) for 3 minutes uncovered. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut oil. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes to cool. Serve with your choice of fruit and enjoy.
What I like best about this breakfast is that I feel satisfied until lunch time which avoids the snacking in between meals. 245 calories when served with 1 cup of berries.