Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity – Coco Chanel
When I was in Paris last Summer I noticed something you don’t see here in North America; On almost every street corner there is a Pharmacie or French Pharmacy. French women are loyal to their tried and true French Pharmacy brands for all their skincare needs as they should be; they’re the best in the world.
In France skin care is considered part of a healthy lifestyle and you really feel that when you walk into the Pharmacies. Cleansers, moisturizers, face masks and sun protection line the shelves alongside Probiotics, diaper creams, vitamins and Advil. Here in North America we tend to see skin care as Beauty hence we find most of our skincare at shops known for Makeup and Cosmetics like Sephora, Nordstrom and Holt Renfrew.
I love the simplicity of French Skincare from the lab-like packaging to the fragrance-free formulations. Don’t skip the French Pharmacy is you’re ever in Paris. City Pharma on Rue du Four in St. Germaine (6th arrondisement) is a must stop if you appreciate French skincare. You can browse the isles at your leisure and take in shelves lined with all the classics: Bioderma, La Roche Posay, Caudalie, Clarins. The prices are so much better than in Canada. A 250ml bottle of my favourite Bioderma Micellar Water costs the same as a pack of 2 500ml bottles at the Pharmacie. Take a reusable bag with you and stock up!
These are some of my personal favourite French Pharmacy buys:
Shown in photos:
1. Carins Body Fit
2. La Roche Posay Effeclar Duo (amazing anti acne cream)
3. La Roche Posay Serzinc Face Spray
4. LaRoche Posay Anthelios SPF 60 (I wear this on my face and neck 365 days a year)
5. Bioderma Photoderm Tanning Spray (for that just-got-back-from-vacation Glow)
6. Bioderma Sensibio Micella Water (the best for removing false eyelashes)
7. Vichy Ideal Body Moisturizer
8. Caudalie Beauty Elixir (with refreshing mint and rosemary)
9. Phyto 7 (its like a moisturizing serum for the softest hair ever)
10. L’occitane (their shower creams and Province Lavender products are my faves)
11. Avene Thermal Water Face Spray (soothing mineral rich spray to calm irritated skin)