Tonight I made a simple vegan meal: Garlic Zucchini and Butternut Squash Soup with Tahini and Lemon.
Spanish Style Garlic Zucchini
Give yourself a bit of time for these as there is about 30 minutes of prep before you can make these.
You Will Need:
2 medium Zucchini’s sliced into thick coins (about 3/4 of an inch)
Salt & White Pepper (you can use black pepper)
2 Tblsp Olive Oil
5-6 garlic cloves finely chopped
1/2 cup Italian Parsley finely chopped (I ran the garlic and parsley through a small food processor but you can also use a mortar and pestle to combine them)
Salt the Zucchini on both sides and place in a strainer and let it sit for 30 minutes (I put it in the sink). The salt will help draw the water out of the Zucchini.
After 30 minutes, place the Zucchini on a board lined with paper towel and place another piece of paper towel overtop and gently press to get the remaining water out of the Zucchini.
Remove the paper towel and sprinkle the Zucchini with a bit of pepper and garlic powder.
Place a pan on the stove over high heat and let the pan get really hot (about 3 minutes) before adding the 2 Tblsp of Olive oil. Place the Zucchini in the pan and cook them for 2-3 minutes each side. You want them to get a little toasted over top.
Remove the Zucchini to a paper towel lined dish and add the Garlic and Parsley to the pan. Cook for just a few seconds (25 – 30).
Serve the Zuccini on a platter and top with the garlic and parsley. They’ll be lightly crunchy on the outside and beautifully soft on the inside.
Butternut Squash Soup with Tahini and Lemon
Tahini is a paste made with Sesame Seeds. It’s a nutritious vegan protein containing a high amount of minerals and vitamins. It gives soups a creamy texture. I even eat it with apples and sliced veggies as a snack.
You Will Need:
- 1 butternut squash ( medium size)
- 1 Tblsp cooking oil ( like to cook with Coconut oil)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups of Vegetable Stock
- 2 Tblsp of Tahini
- 1-2 Tblsp of Lemon Juice
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash skin side down and bake at 350°F for about 30 mins or until soft.
- While the squash bakes, roughly chop the onion and garlic.
- Remove the squash from the oven and discard the skin
- To a pot on high heat, add oil and sautee the onion for a few minutes then add the garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent and starting to turn golden brown.
- Add the Squash to the pot along with the Vegetable stock, tahini and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then blend with a hand held blender (or in the blender).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnished with chives or pumpkin seeds.
I toasted some fresh Olive bread to dunk into the soup. Easy delicious. Bon Appetit!